Fall is here and Winter is right around the corner! That means soon the snow will be falling and we will all be breaking out the shovels and snowblowers. While this may be the easiest way to remove the snow sometimes it is just not enough. Salt and other de-icing products have proven to be helpful for the prevention of ice forming when the snow and ice have already been removed. However, these products should be used with caution since they can have negative, damaging effects on masonry surfaces and joints that could lead to cracks and failure.
If you were to go to your local hardware store you can find a multitude of de-icing products, however you must read the fine print on these products. Repeated, heavy use can of these products can promote deterioration. Often it is found mostly where the base of the building meets the sidewalk or stairs. These areas are highly vulnerable because of the mortar joints that are susceptible to de-icing products. These products can cause “scaling” and “flaking” or severe damage to the concrete work over time. This is why many times you see large cracks in concrete stairs.
If you decide to use these de-icing products remember these helpful tips.
1. DO NOT use de-icing products if your concrete sidewalks or steps are new (six months or less)
2. READ all ingredients in your de-icing products. Ammonium nitrate and ammonium sulfate should never be used because they can break down the most durable masonry.
3. DO NOT use deicers near and vegetation because it can get into the soil and kill plant life.
4.USE sand in combination with deicers for better traction.
5. When the Winter comes to a close, make sure to wash down your sidewalks and steps to remove any leftover residue.
6. Repairing concrete can be an intensive Only hire a professional when it comes to concrete repair in Philadelphia
With new products constantly hitting the market it is important to recognize there may be better options than the same sodium chloride you may use every year. Magnesium chloride is the newest deicer on the market. It release 40% less chloride into the environment and is less damaging to plants and concrete. If you are in need of a concrete repair in Philadelphia, concrete steps, or concrete walkway only choose the best. Choose Hallmark Remodelers.